3D-Kits.co.uk 1/72 Spitfire Mk.II Conversion
3D-Kits.co.uk is a new (to me) producer of interesting conversions for primarily 1/72 scale aircraft. This set takes your choice of Airfix or Tamiya Spitfire Mk.I kits and transforms them to either the Rotol-fitted Mk.I or the standard Mk.II. This set has two sets of parts to convert two models and includes Rotol three-bladed propeller, spinner, and adaptor shafts for either kit. Cockpit updates are also included including new pilot's seat and control yoke.
In addition to the plastic parts, this set also includes markings for four examples:
- Spitfire Mk.I, 54 Sqn, KL-T, March 1940
- Spitfire Mk.I, 54 Sqn, KL-O, March 1940
- Spitfire Mk.II, 19 Sqn, QV-J, June 1941
- Spitfire Mk.II, 71 (Eagle) Sqn, XR-D, Aug 1941
I find several aspects of this company's approach to aftermarket conversions and details quite refreshing from several aspects:
- The conversions are simple
- The conversion parts are injection-molded plastic, not resin, so less experienced modelers can try them
- They don't provide the airframe conversion alone, they also provide relevant decals and instructions to complete the project
You can obtain 3D-Kits.co.uk conversions directly from the 3D-Kits.co.uk website.
My sincere thanks to 3D-Kits.co.uk for this review sample!